After installing 3ds Max 2018, the software will not launch properly, or will experience instability when trying to change a user-configurable path (such as the Autoback file location).
Causes:There are several possible causes for these errors:
- Conflicts between 3ds Max, Windows updates and the ProSound.dlc sound driver
- Windows permissions issues
- Certain PC-bundled backup software may cause Max instability or startup problems
- Certain anti-virus programs may prevent 3ds Max 2018 from loading properly when the new, animated Welcome Screen attempts to access web content
- Older versions of the Arnold renderer may also prevent 3ds Max 2018 from running properly.
Solution:Here are several troubleshooting steps to try:
Update to 3ds Max 2018.2
- Log into your Autodesk Account > 3ds Max > Updates & Add-Ons menu, then download and install the 3ds Max 2018.2 Update.
Change the 3ds Max display driver
- Try changing the 3ds Max display driver from the default D3D11 driver to another 3ds Max display driver, such as D3D9.
- Go to the Xiph open source website, and download and install the Directshow Filters for Ogg Vorbis, Speex, Theora, FLAC and WebM
- Navigate to C:\Program Files\Autodesk\3ds Max 2018\stdplugs, and rename the ProSound.dlc file to ProSound.dlc.BAK.
- If your CPUs are compatible, download and install the newest version of Arnold for 3ds Max 2018
- If not, go to Windows Control Panel > Programs and Features, and uninstall the MAXtoA plugin for 3ds Max 2018.
- Some users have reported that certain 3rd-party cloud-based backup software, including Microsoft OneDrive, Carbonite, Dell Backup and Recovery Solution, and Druva, may cause 3ds Max to experience serious instability or prevent it from launching entirely.
- If these or other cloud-based backup software programs on on your system, please disable them from starting up, or uninstall them entirely by going to the Windows Command Panel > Programs and Features menu. Then, reboot your PC.
- Navigate to C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\2018 – 64bit\ENU folder and open the 3dsmax.ini file in Notepad.
- Select Control-F to search for the word “welcome.” Notepad should display this entry:
- Change the line ShowAtStartupExt=1 to ShowAtStartupExt=0, then resave the .ini file and restart 3ds Max 2018.