When starting 3ds Max 20xx the following error appears.
1. Go to C:\Users\YourUser\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax.
2. Rename C:\Users\Youruser\AppData\Local\Autodesk\3dsMax\<version> - 64bit to "Backup".
3. Start 3ds Max.
The above steps should reset 3ds Max user settings to default settings. If the issue still occurs after performing these step try the following:
4. Update your video driver to the latest version.
5. Perform Repair Install by going to Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs > 3ds Max 20xx > Change/Uninstall > Select Repair.
6. (Windows7 Option only) If steps 4 and 5 did not solve the problem. Press win+R and Run "dxdiag" DirectX diagnostics tool to search for errors. If there are DirectX errors, download and reinstall the Service Pack currently installed on your PC.
7. Alternatively as a temporary fix: Run 3ds max in OpenGL by going to : Start > All Programs > Autodesk > 3ds Max 20xx > Change Graphics Mode.
In display driver Selection select "Legacy OpenGL" this will use the graphics driver installed installed on your operating system. When viewing OpenGL the driver will not display shadows or ambient occlusion in viewports.